The EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network, in partnership with Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), are organising a two day event with the title "Energy Efficiency: A Key Driver For Clean Energy Transition", scheduled to take place in Doha, Qatar on May 3-4, 2017.
The aim of the event is to foster partnerships by bringing together high-level stakeholders from the EU (European Union) and the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) to discuss Energy Efficiency and Cooling Technologies suitable for the region, exchange best practices and lesson learned and advance collaboration between EU and GCC actors.
Gulf countries face many challenges in the energy sector such as low energy efficiency, a chronic dependence on fuel subsidies and related high CO2 emissions. To tackle these issues, the GCC countries are now embarking on a clean energy transition pathway, which targets a more sustainable, efficient and cost-effective method for using energy.
Energy efficiency and cooling technologies, including district cooling, can play a major role to reduce energy intensity and thus emissions. There are solutions available suited for small, medium and large-scale applications and that can be implemented in different sectors of the economy such as transport, buildings, and Industry. In addition, Energy efficiency provides significant co-benefits in terms of job creation, revenue generation, interaction with research and innovation, increasing competitiveness and an improvement of companies’ corporate images.
The two day event includes a number of workshops, experts’ networking, and training sessions. The event's outline is released while the final agenda which will include the speakers and the trainers will be released soon through the event's web page.
Outline and Agenda
3rd May, 2017
Experts’ workshop “Energy Efficiency and Cooling Technologies” focussing on solutions and methodologies for the built environment. The aim is to foster partnerships by bringing together high-level stakeholders from the EU (European Union) and the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) to discuss energy efficiency and cooling technologies suitable for the region, exchange best practices and lessons-learned and advance collaboration between EU and GCC actors.
08:00-09:00 Registration and Networking
09:00-09:30 Opening Remarks
- Welcome speech
- Mrs Lucie Berger, Head of Trade Section, Delegation of the European Union to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Kingom of Bahrain, the State of Kuwait, the Sultanate of Oman and the State of Qatar
- Mr. Frank Wouters, Director, EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
09:30-10:45 Session I: State of the art and markets for energy efficiency and cooling technologies
Keynote speaker and moderator:
- Mr. Andrew Parker, EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network, Convener for EE & DSM: 'A review of current developments in building cooling'
- Mr. Hassan Younes, Director, Griffin Consultants
Maximum Technically Achievable Energy Targets for Existing Commercial Buildings
- Dr. Esam Elsarrag, Director Research & Development, GORD, Qatar
'Boosting the HVAC industry with QCOOL: The GCC?s first superefficient smart cooling system'
- Mr. Ray Ring General Manager & Senior Director, Daikin Middle East Africa
'Efficient space cooling solutions for new buildings'
- Mr. Francesco Favaro' CEO,Watergy International Group
'Cooling the cities: high albedo building materials'
- Prof. Afshin Afshari Masdar Insitute
'INDIGO EU-H2020 Project: Building a more efficient, intelligent and economical competitive generation of DC systems'
10:45-11:00 Networking Break
11:00-12:15 Session II: Policies and regulations to promote EE and Cooling technologies
Moderator: Dr. Mustapha Taoumi, Energy Technology Expert, EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
• Mr. Ewout Deurwaarder, Policy Officer Energy Efficiency, European Commission, DG ENER, Brussels
"EU Policy on Energy Efficiency in Cooling"
• Mr. Michel Farah, Vice Chairman of Eurovent Middle East, Dubai
"Towards a level playing field in the GCC for evaluating Energy Efficiency for Air-Conditioning Systems "
• Dr. Alex Amato, Head of Sustainability, Qatar Green Building Council (QGBC)
"The Application of the Passivhaus Concept in Hot Arid Climates”
• Dr. Mohammad Al-Saidi, Research Assistant Professor, Center for Sustainable Development, Qatar University
Opportunities for addressing water-energy interactions in energy efficiency policies – examples from Qatar and the GCC
• Dr. Patrick Linke, Executive Director, Texas A&M University at Qatar
On energy efficiency and cooling in large scale processing systems
12:15-13:15 Session III: Business models and financing
Keynote speaker and Moderator: Mr. George Berbari, CEO, DC PRO Engineering
“The Energy Budget”
• Mr. Thomas Bosse, Head of Programmes, Dubai Carbon Centre of Excellence
Environmental Finance for District Cooling
• Mr. Stephane le Gentil, CEO, Wattaqa
"Financing energy efficient space cooling improvements through the ESCO retrofit model"
• Mr. Andrew Parker, EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network Convener
"European incentives for efficient cooling"
• Mr. Jeffrey Beyer, Director, Beyond C, UK
"Facilitating Finance: A Case for the Super ESCO "
13:15-14:15 Networking lunch
14:15-15:15 Session IV: Panel discussion and roundtable on how to foster partnership between the EU and the GCC stakeholders
Moderator: Mr. Frank Wouters, Director, EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
- Dr. Hisham M. Sabir, Program Manager, Mechanical Engineering. Acting Technical Director, Energy and Environment, QNRF .
- Mr. Thomas Bosse, Head of Programmes, Dubai Carbon Centre of Excellence
- Mr. Michel Farah, Vice Chairman of Eurovent Middle East, Dubai
- Dr. Esam Elsarrag, Director Research & Development, GORD
- Dr. Alex Amato, Head of Sustainability, QGBC
- Dr. Patrick Linke, Executive Director, Texas A&M University, Qatar
- Mr. Andrew Parker, EU-GCC EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network Convener
15:15-15:20 Short break
15:20-16:15 Session V: Industry Insights
Various industries offer advanced cooling technologies propositions with different concepts and solutions that focus on customer needs in different ways.
Moderator: Mr. Stephane le Gentil, CEO, Wattaqa, Dubai
- Mr. Ray Ring, General Manager & Senior Director, DAIKIN Middle East and Africa
"Inverter chiller solutions for cooling applications
- Mr. John Fernandez, Managing Director, ebm-papst Middle East FZE
"Energy-Efficient Fan Technologies for HVAC and Refrigeration Applications”
16:15-16:30 Wrap-Up and conclusion
4th May 2017
QNRF’s Research Outcome Seminar (ROS) on Energy Efficiency and Cooling
The ROS are public events designed to disseminate the findings of research projects funded by QNRF. The theme of this ROS is Energy Efficiency and Cooling, an area very relevant to Qatar and GCC countries and one that features high in QF R&D’s (Research & Development) list of priorities. The seminar will comprise oral presentations by project leaders, as well as flash and poster presentations by researchers.
8:00 – 8:30 Networking Breakfast & Registration
8:30 – 8:35 Opening Remarks: Dr. Hisham M. Sabir (Program Manager, Mechanical Engineering, QNRF)
8:35 – 10:35
- Dr. Esam Elsarrag (Gulf Organization for Research & Development) Space Cooling using Solar Energy and Seawater Desiccants
- Prof. Abdel Magid Hamouda (Qatar University) Energy Harvesting Material Systems with Integrated Topology
- Dr. Hatem Ibrahim & Dr. Rabah Boukhanouf (Qatar University) A Novel Passive Air Conditioning System
- Dr. Zhidan Zhao (Hamad Bin Khalifa University) Semantic Analysis and Machine Learning for Human-Centered and Value-Sensitive Improvement of Building Energy Efficiency
10:35–10:50 Coffee break
- Dr. Yousef Alhorr (Gulf Organization for Research & Development) Developing Green Building Guidelines for Occupant Productivity, Wellbeing and Behavioral Change: A BIM based Design Planning Approach
- Dr. Saud Ghani (Qatar University) Thermal Comfort of Spectators and Players in Qatari Stadiums
- Dr. Vasanth Chakravarthy Shunmugasamy (Texas A&M University at Qatar) Forming of Aluminum Foam Sandwich Panels - Potential Applications in Sustainable Energy Systems
- Prof. Ibrahim Hassan (Texas A&M University at Qatar) Development of a Novel Heat Sink with Wavy-Tapered Channels
- Dr. Djamel Ouahrani (Qatar University) Body cooling methods for improving endurance in hot environments at minimal energy
- Dr. Dinesh Seth (Qatar University) Lean implementation through value stream mapping analysis to reduce wastes and energy consumption : a Qatari paper printing case study
- Dr. Parakalan Krishnamachari (Program Officer, Material Engineering, QNRF) Closing Remarks
11:50–13:20 Lunch and poster viewing
Training Seminars on Energy Efficiency and Space Cooling
The half-day training workshop intends to provide an overview of space cooling. It aims to help policymakers and energy experts to identify opportunities for improving the efficiency of space cooling and give them a background on the key issues to be addressed when developing suitable energy efficiency programs and policies. In addition, a brief description of the technologies available and concepts used to reduce the increased energy demand for space cooling. Finally, successful business models and modalities of financing efficient space cooling technologies will be discussed.
14:00 – 14:10 Welcome Speech
• Dr. Hisham M. Sabir, Program Manager, Mechanical Engineering. Acting Technical Director, Energy and Environment, QNRF
• Mr. Frank Wouters, Director EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
14:10 – 14:30 Introductory Session Workshop objectives and outcomes , Energy Efficiency as a key driver for Clean Energy Transition: Challenges and Opportunities
• Dr. Mustapha Taoumi , Key Expert EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
• Mr. Andrew Parker, EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network Convener for EE & DSM
14:30 – 15:15 Session I: Technological Options for Space Cooling in new buildings
This session will focus on the different technological options existing for space cooling focusing on energy efficiency and costs. Options such as District Cooling, Central Chiller Plants (air-cooled, water-cooled) or decentralized cooling, passive cooling techniques, designing a building with minimum cooling requirement etc. will be discussed
- Mr. Stephane le Gentil, CEO Wattaqa
- Mr. Andrew Parker, EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network Convener for EE & DSM
- Mr. Ray Ring, General Manager & Senior Director Daikin Middle East and Africa
15:15 – 15:45 Session II: Technological efficiency improvements for Space Cooling in existing buildings
This session will focus on the different existing technologies that can improve the energy efficiency of an existing space cooling system
• Mr. Hassan Younes, Technical Director, Griffin Consultants
15:45 – 16:00 Coffee Break
16:00 – 17:00 Session III: Business models and modalities of financing efficient space cooling technologies, What financing incentives exist in Europe to help financing efficient space cooling, What business models, such as the ESCO model, could be used to finance efficiency improvements in existing buildings
• Mr. Andrew Parker, EU GCC EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network Convener for EE & DSM
• Mr. Stephane le Gentil, CEO Wattaqa
17:00-17:15 Evaluations and conclusion
Day 1 _ 03.05.2017: Experts’ workshop “Energy Efficiency and Cooling Technologies”
SESSION I_1_ANDREW PARKER_EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
SESSION I_2_HASSAN YOUNES_GRIFFIN CONSULTANTS
SESSION I_4_RAY RING_DAIKIN MEA
SESSION I_5_FRANCESCO FAVARO_WATERGY
SESSION I_6_AFSHIN AFSHARI_MASDAR INSTITUTE
SESSION II_1_EWOUT Deurwaarder_DG ENER
SESSION II_2_MICHEL FARAH_EUROVENT
SESSION II_3_ALEX AMATO_QGBC
SESSION II_4_MOHAMMAD AL SAIDI_QATAR UNIVERSITY
SESSION II_5_Dr. PATRICK LINKE_TEXAS A M UNIVERSITY
SESSION III_2_THOMAS BOSSE_DUBAI CARBON
SESSION III_3_STEPHANE LE GENTILE_WATTACA
SESSION III_4_ANDREW PARKER_EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
SESSION III_5_JEFFREY BEYER_BEYOND C
SESSION V_1_RAY RING_DAIKIN MEA
SESSION V_2_JOHN FERNANDEZ_ ebm-papst Middle East FZE
SESSION V_3_MARKUS LATTNER_EUROVENT
Day 2 _ 04.05.2017: Training Seminars on Energy Efficiency and Space Cooling
SESSION I_ANDREW PARKER_EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
SESSION I_RAY RING_DAIKIN MEA
SESSION I_STEPHANE LE GENTIL_WATTAQA
SESSION II HASSAN YOUNES_GRIFFIN CONSULTANTS
SESSION II_ANDREW PARKER_EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
SESSION III_ANDREW PARKER_EU GCC Clean Energy Technology Network
SESSION IIII_STEPHANE LE GENTIL_WATTAQA
Thank you for your interest to register.
The online registration for this event is now closed. In case you are interested in joining the two-day workshop and training in Doha, Qatar, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com.
The Network secretariat will reply to your request accordingly.